A week ago I challenged myself to develop and publish a new game within the next 7 days. Here is how it all went.
Because of the limited time, the game had to be simple but I also wanted to create something that others would enjoy as well. To help me focus on simplicity I decided that the game should not need any kind of buttons or on screen controls to be played. Furthermore, there should not be any GUI elements besides some kind of score and a pause
With these constraints in mind I started working on gameplay concepts. In the end I committed to an improved model of an old idea of mine that I never really used for anything. The model works the following way. Objects spawn near the middle of the screen and move out towards the edges to “escape”. The player must catch the objects before they escape.
Regarding game features I decided that I should at least implement an online leaderboard where players could compete and compare their scores.
When everything was settled all that remained was a great deal of hard work and effort but if end up with something you’re proud of then it’s definitely worth it.
Today you can download the result of my challenge on Google Play as the game Doge Escape! I hope you enjoy it and if you do then don’t forget to share it.